This article is one part of a series on successfully utilizing marketing frameworks. To start from the beginning, click here.
Marketing Framework #8: STEPPS
Developed by Jonah Burger, the author of Contagious: Why Things Catch On, STEPPS is a formula to create contagious content that has people talking and sharing.
- Social Currency: Invite your customers to feel more like insiders. Humans are programmed to care what others think of them. This taps into that need to be seen positively by others and encourages conversation around your product.
- Triggers: Frequently remind people of your product utilizing triggers and they’ll talk about it more.
- Emotion: Highly emotional content is more likely to go viral. Taking that one step further, high arousal emotions like anger will be shared more often than low arousal emotions like sadness.
- Public: When you make something public, you encourage people to talk about it and share it.
- Practical Value: Provide value in the form of useful content, and people will be more likely to share it.
- Stories: We are biologically wired to see the world through narrative. Creative stories that are easy to relate to and easy to remember, and they’ll also be easy to share